Friday, May 21, 2010

Waffles Waffles Waffles

So there I was in the kitchen, diligently whisking away at some egg whites. There was a faint burning oder in the air, but I thought nothing of it because my mom was cooking something on the stove. The egg whites were coming along beautifully, and at the point were they were nearing perfection, my mixer died. Just sputtered and went still. Nothing that I did succeeded in reviving it. (Thankfully the egg whites were good enough to be used in the batter.)


Oh, that mixer. All the things we have been through. The highest of highs. The lowest of lows. Raging success. Disappointing flukes. Always there by my side whisking and beating and kneading away.


But every good thing eventually has an end. And today was the the end of this mixers lifespan. Through all the recipes and years it has aided me tremendously. All those yummy treats I've made with its help. I will be forever grateful.


And now I present you with this mixers final, grand creation. Belgian Waffles. Incredibly light and fluffy. One just has to go back for seconds.



WAFFLES


2 cups all-purpose flour

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 large eggs, separated

4 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) butter, melted

2 cups milk

non-stick cooking spray or butter to grease the waffle iron


Preheat waffle iron. (i have mine set on medium heat)


Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.


In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract, butter, and milk.


Combine the wet and dry ingredients.


In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites with a mixer until peaks start to form.


Fold in the egg whites until everything is just combined.


Ladle batter into waffle iron and cook until done. Remove. Let cool. Serve with whatever toppings you like. Eat.


(Side Note: I like to eat my waffles with powdered sugar or maple syrup. Others like them with whipped cream and fresh fruit. Others like nutella or jelly. Or cinnamon and sugar. Or just plain. Whatever suits your taste.)


No comments:

Post a Comment