Sunday, May 2, 2010

Strawberry Banana Smoothie


It is officially May. I love May. Lovelovelove. The flowers are bloomin' everywhere and it's FINALLY warm enough outside to wear shorts five consecutive days in a row. (Plus the fact that my birthday is in a week... what is there not to love?) Beautiful.

Not only is the weather fitting for the beginning of May, it's perfect for playing soccer. Which is why I was to be found at school at 8:45 on a Saturday morning. Our opponent: some team called Leyden. I'd go on to describe the team, but then all this post would end up saying would be variations of "@#$%!!!". Let's just say that they loved profanity, they loved attacking my sprained ankle, and some girl spat on me.

Now, if this weren't bad enough, the ref decided to give ME a yellow card. Preposterous! Apparently squealing out in pain after having your sprained ankle tackled and then moving back to your position, listening to some opponent curse you out, and going to mark your player is "laughing and then walking away" and "un-sportsmanship like conduct". At first I had thought yes, that girl is getting what she deserves! ...and then the card was given to me. What a moron ref.

After all that, I was prettttyyy ticked off. Not having much appetite, but still needing to eat something, I decided to brighten up my day by sticking with the spirit of spring and making myself a smoothie. So I threw together some fruits and dairy products and voila! A refreshing and delicious drink to quench my thirst, satisfy my stomach, and bring back a dwindling good mood.

STRAWBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE

1-2 bananas
about 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
a large handful frozen strawberries (approximately 1 1/2 cup) (TIP: if you'd prefer you can use fresh strawberries, be sure to add the 1 cup of ice cubes to the mixture)
OPTIONAL: about 1 cup of ice cubes

Cut the banana into slices. Throw everything into a blender. Mix together until everything is blended and you have achieved a smooth texture. (If you added ice, there should be small chunks of ice in the drink.) Pour into a glass and consume.

My dog Roxy seemed pretty interested in what all the commotion in the kitchen was about. She came to investigate and was eyeing the smoothie... Sorry Roxy, but dogs shouldn't drink this! (Don't worry, I wouldn't just not give her anything: in the end I gave Roxy some treats that she greedily inhaled.)

No comments:

Post a Comment